Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday Tidbits

In an effort to keep my 2009 goals in front of me & stay on track with them, I thought I'd share a few tidbits along the way that are helping keep me focused! I won't necessarily post on this subject every week, but just as things come to mind on my journey!


In honor of my exercise & eat more healthfully goal - keep & maintain a fruit bowl! So many of us always saw a bowl of fruit sitting on our grandmothers' counters growing up - we've started doing the same. If the fruit gets into the fridge (at our house at least), it will come out weeks later, not eaten & now not worth eating! We've started being more diligent about buying fruit and keeping it out in plain sight - where it's an easy snack to pick up and eat at home and also easy to grab heading out the door.

Right now we're really in to navel oranges & Fuji apples - both found at Sam's and both super delicious! We also buy bananas from time to time, but they seem to turn brown almost within a day of entering our doors, regardless of how green they were when we bought them. I'd love to hear any tricks any of you have on keeping bananas around longer!

How about you - any tidbits you can share that are helping you keep on track for your 2009 goals?

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Jody-Thinking of you as these days tick by :) We too, have to keep our fruit in sight, or we don't enjoy it! I've been wokring having routines in place, and that has really helped me keep my goals in sight-It hasn't changed over night, but it has made a BIG difference :)

Meredith said...

My husband has become allergic to apples in the last few years (bummer), so we keep our fridge stocked with grapes. I wash them as soon as we get them home and put them in an open bowl or clear bag so Keith knows they're there. (There's just something about men with tupperware... if they can't see it, they won't eat it.)
We love bananas too, but I only buy 3-4 at a time so they don't go bad. If they do, though, I cut them up and freeze them for smoothies later.

Mrs. Mullen said...

we love bananas too. Mom just got me those "as seen on TV" green bags, and they ACTUALLY work!!

Anonymous said...

Jodi, I second the Green Bag idea. We've started using them, and they really do work! Just be sure if you notice condensation, dry the bag and the fruit before putting it back into the Green Bag.

Mary said...

Do you use a banana hanger? I used to use one a few years ago and my bananas always turned brown too quickly.

Then one time after grocery shopping, I had the bananas laying on the counter and forgot to hang them up for a few days. And ya know what? They stayed yellow much longer.

So now I got rid of the banana hanger and haven't looked back.