Tuesday, February 17, 2009

WFMW - Bible Reading Help

When I was in college - quiet times came easy, time seemed to be abundant and I read my Bible through cover-to-cover several, several times...now that I'm a mom...finding that time to read daily is sometimes a struggle. Last year, Brad & I started reading a read-through-in-a-year plan in January, and did great until April...or was it June...and then we fell behind and never caught back up. I don't even remember what really happened, except that we were typically reading at night and life just got busy.

This year, I knew I wanted one of my goals to be to get back on track with my Bible reading, I just didn't know what plan could/would best make that happen. I read a little here and there and then back at the end of January I found BibleShared. I was immediately excited as blog accountability seems to work for me!

I immediately signed up and started reading. I love that I can read the Bible in any order I want and simply record my progress as I go (last week I was reading in Humility and Mahaney referenced Habakkuk, so I stopped and quickly read those 3 chapters to better grasp the his point - I didn't have to wait for the summertime to roll around for Habakkuk to come up in my yearly reading plan.) I can read while online or I can read offline and record my progress after the fact. I also love that they have a widget I can put in my sidebar so that anybody can see how I'm doing - that motivates me.


As a mom of 2, it's often difficult to find time to sit down and read my Bible for 15 minutes (or more) at a time...however I'm on my computer all day long. Using Firefox, I simply keep my BibleShared page up in a separate tab, and periodically throughout the day I pop over to it and read a chapter or 2. Wow - what a difference that has made! In only 18 days of using their service, I've already read 90 chapters - or 7% of the Bible. Yippee!! And, on my progress page, BibleShared tells me that if I continue to read at my current rate of 5 chapters/day, I'll finish the Bible in 219.8 days. That's really exciting for me, because it tells me that I can finish the Bible this year!

If you want more great WFMW ideas, head on over and see Shannon @ RocksinmyDryer - and head's up...this is Shannon's last week hosting before she passes the torch on over to Kristen! Enjoy!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check it out. Sometimes the only Bible reading I get in is my girls' Bible stories I read before bed. Thanks for the tip.

Kate said...

Oh, I love it! I'd never heard of that site before. Thanks! =)

~Kate
"Which Proverbs 14:1 Woman?"
http://proverbs14-1.blogspot.com

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

first time for me..I usually go to Biblegateway.com every morning for the verse of the day..this is a neat system!

6intow said...

Great tip. I'm not familiar with that site, but it sounds like a great tool. You are definitely right, Bible time with little ones is hardly a solid 15 minute time period.

This year I have also joined a blogging community to read through the Bible in a year. This is a little more structured, but each day a contributor highlights a verse from the passage with some application and a prayer. It is great to pull out one particular promise or challenge to carry with throughout the day. Here's the site:
http://66books.wordpress.com/

Thanks for sharing that site. You can never have too much support to be in the Word!

Nancy M. said...

Wow! I really like this idea. Thanks for sharing it!

Joni said...

Way to go Jodi. I'm doing fairly well with my reading but am behind, as always these days. thanks for these websites - i'll check it out!

Anonymous said...

neat little site! accountability is wonderful and is nice to have blog feature for it.

Anonymous said...

That is really neat - thank you!!

Nick said...

Hello, Nick from BibleShared.com here ;-)

Thanks for the positive feedback! Let me know if there's anything that would make the site better or easier to use. I'm ramping up to do a big round of bug fixes / new features / speed optimizations and general clean-up this summer.

You can submit comments or suggestions here: http://bibleshared.com/bugit.asp

Or I'll just keep watching your blog and see what you have to say.

Keep up the good work, you're making excellent progress! I read through super fast the first time using BibleShared, and I'm taking it slow my second time around.

Erin said...

Jodi, Thank you for letting us know about BibleShared. I just signed up, and now my husband wants to, too. I have Issues with consistency, but I don't seem to have a problem checking blogs...for shame! I hope this keeps me on my toes & in the Word!

kayte leann said...

thank you soooo much for posting this!!! I can bet this will make a huge difference for me!!!